Pages

Monday 4 June 2012

'My Little Pony' Cake


Wanting to try my hand a cake decorating, I put my hand up to make Miss K's 9th Birthday cake (Last year). I had made and decorated my own little kitten's birthday cakes but wanted to outsource.. So I did! :)
I brought a chocolate slab from one of my local bakeries 'Mrs. Macs' at Brassall who were kind enough to do me up a slab (- and they did a great job too) 

Miss K absolutely loved horses and thinking the best kind to have - colour choice wise, was the 'My Little Pony's' Range.. Miss K loved unicorns and pegasus.. so if you roll them all into one - you get a pony that resembles Heart-throb Pony.. 

File:DMHeartThrob.jpg
This version of 'heart throb' I thought was beautiful!

             
'My Little Pony' Birthday Cake Made For Miss K's 9th Birthday..
I free hand drew a picture of heart throb that I printed off the internet. Then I  pinpricked the cake through the pattern I drew to get the overall shape. Which I then cut it out with a sharp knife. I then iced the cake all over with pretty pink icing.

I made three batches of Marshmallow Fondant using this recipe - http://candy.about.com/od/fondantcandyrecipes/r/mm_fondant.htm

It's not all that difficult to do, and sweet to eat.. I'm only a little bit partial to sweet things, I prefer chocolate to lollies :)

Making my batches of Marshmallow Fondant and colouring them - purple,light pink and dark pink - it was time to get rolling.. the best way I knew how to do the outlines and achieve shapes.

I used pink royal icing to pipe around the outside to finish the edges, and piped swirling patterns on the pony rump with Miss K's name. I also piped the eye as it needed finer detail with the lashes and such.

After three days work - She was finished! I was pretty pleased with the end result! But most of all, I had SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun creating this cake. Needless to say - The birthday girl was very happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment